Wednesday, April 21, 2010

White Chicken Chili


We were supposed to have this for supper last night but since The Hubby took some friends from church to the White Sox game, Little Bit and I just ate on the fly.

I've been making this recipe for years and it comes from a cookbook put out by Decatur Christian School back in 2003. As soon as I got the book and leafed thru the pages, I knew this recipe would become a staple in my menu plan. I like regular chili OK but this one is awesome.

I have adapted a few things for ease of preparation, cost, etc. For example, the original recipe calls for 4 cups of chicken breast but just use whatever I have AND a whole lot less-actually only about 6 oz. I kinda like to save breasts for grilling. By using dark meat, it makes it just a little more economical. The chicken is also generally cooked in a batch and separated, labeled and frozen so I can just pull it out of the freezer when needed.

White Chicken Chili
Serves 6 @ 5 WW points each

1-1 lb. bag white Northern beans
6-8 cups (3 or 4-14 oz. cans) 99% FF chicken broth
2 cloves minced garlic
2 med. onions, chopped
2-4 oz. cans chopped green chilies
2 t. cumin
1 1/2 t. oregano
1/4 t. ground cloves
1/4 t. cayenne pepper
6 oz. chicken, chopped (dark or light-point value is with dark)

Combine beans, broth, garlic and half the onions in large soup pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer til beans are soft (approx. 3 1/2- 4 hours), or you can use a can of prepared Northern beans. Add more chicken broth if needed.
After beans are soft, add remaining onion, seasonings & chilies and mix thoroughly; then add chicken. Simmer 1/2 hour.
NOTE: Top with Jack cheese if desired just be sure to add in the points if you are counting.

No comments:

Post a Comment