Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Scalloped Potatoes & Ham


Since it started out raining today and was a bit on the chilly side, I welcomed the opportunity to have the oven on to warm the house a bit. This is a new dish for me that I just happened across on the internet. It comes from About.com:Southern Food. I have my own Scalloped Potato recipe that I posted about last month but I was looking for something different for this month. Anyway, I actually took the time to calculate the points for this one for you Weight Watchers out there. :o)

The Hubby really liked this recipe and said that he would like it again. Just a couple of notes, I used the Cream of Celery soup, not the Cream of Mushroom (The Hubby was thrilled-he doesn't like mushrooms at all!) and it was 98% fat free soup. Also, the original recipe called for a full pound of ham but I only used 8 oz. ham not the full pound, that just seemed like a bit much to me. The recipe and points below reflect my changes. Overall, it was very good and will show up again in my menu but maybe not again until it cools off.

Scalloped Potatoes & Ham
Serves 6 @ 4 points each

8 oz. lean ham, cubed
5 cup thinly sliced potatoes
1 can 98% FF cream of mushroom soup or cream of celery soup
1/4 cup 1% milk
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
dash pepper
2 tablespoons light butter

Place half of the potatoes in a greased, shallow, 2-quart baking dish. Cover with ham pieces. Top with remaining potatoes. Combine soup with milk, onion, green bell pepper, and ground black pepper; pour over potatoes. Dot with butter. Cover with foil and bake at 350° for 1 hour. Remove covering; bake 30 to 45 minutes longer, or until potatoes are done. If desired, sprinkle shredded Cheddar cheese over the top of scalloped potatoes the last 15 minutes of baking time. NOTE: Point value does not include any cheese.)

No comments:

Post a Comment