Saturday, May 15, 2010

Brown Rice Salad w/Black Beans & Corn


UPDATE: This "salad" is better warm in my opinion. I tried it cold but warmed it up in the micro for a bit and it was better. So next time I will wait until closer to eating time to make it.

OH....MY....GOODNESS!!! Did I ever happen across the BEST recipe evahhhhh!!! And, it is a Weight Watchers recipe to boot. Could it get any better than that? Tonight The Hubby, Little Bit and her 2 older sisters are having grilled burgers and I will have my Boca burger (I really do like them, though I hear that many don't). When I was doing my menu planning for May I ran across this recipe and it just sounded different so I thought we would try it.

Now, I don't know if you have ever been to a Chipotle but they have this thing called a Burrito Bowl and it is to die for. Here is a description of the Burrito Bowl which is served in a bowl not in a tortilla: Cilantro-lime rice, choice of pinto or vegetarian black beans, meat, salsa, cheese or sour cream, and romaine lettuce. It is really, REALLY good. My mom has mentioned that she made a rice similar to theirs but I hadn't tried her version yet. But when I made this salad today, I must say it tasted very much like the Burrito Bowl without the meat, cheese & sour cream which you could most certainly add making it a meal itself instead of a side. So, without further ado....

Brown Rice Salad w/Black Beans & Corn
Serves 4 @ 4 points each

1 c. instant brown rice
1 oz. canned black beans, rinsed & drained
1 c. frozen corn kernels, thawed
1/4 c. scallion, chopped
2 T. chilantro, chopped
2 t. jalapeno pepper, minced, or less to taste
1 T. fresh lime juice
1 t. lime zest
1/4 t. salt, or to taste
1/4 t. black pepper, or to taste

Cook rice according to package directions. While rice is still warm, stir in beans, corn, scallions, cilantro, jalapeno, lime juice and zest; season to taste with salt and pepper. Yields about 1 heaping cup per serving.

NOTE: I just used a drained can of corn.

I didn't really read thru the recipe before preparing and assumed it was a cold salad and that is the way I will try to serve it but it was awesome warm. I will let you know how it was cold or if I re-heated it.

No comments:

Post a Comment