Thursday, May 13, 2010

My Garden & Yard

I just began my gardening endeavor last year. Behind what most people believe to be the back of our property, we own a triangular shape that is not in the boundaries of our fence. The entire time we've lived here, the people behind us kept it mowed and we didn't utilize it at all. That changed when I decided that I wanted a garden. It was the logical place to put it; full sun and not in an area that the kids play...perfect! So this year, I've been waiting for what seems like weeks for the weather to cooperate so I could plant my garden. It's been over a month since The Hubby tilled my garden for me.


When the weather finally broke (or so I thought, I ended up having to cover my babies with blankets last week when it frosted...gggrrr) I carefully planted my tomatoes (Big Boy & Roma, I'm still looking for a grape tomato plant)

Peppers-Green Bell, Yellow Bell, Red Bell & Jalapeno

Green Beans-a bush variety, though next year I may consider a pole bean

Radishes

Zucchini

Cucumbers

Last year from my garden I was able to can tomatoes, tomato juice & salsa. My green beans didn't do very well but I'm lucky because my dad has a friend who loves to garden and ALWAYS has plenty of green beans that he loves to share so I was able to can a bunch of those to. Here's a post on my family blog about my first canning experience if you are interested.

This past Saturday I went to Owen Nursery in Bloomington and bought some of the flowers for our yard. I have several areas that need attention but my focus was on the front yard this visit plus I bought this beautiful Zebrina Wandering Jew. I remember as a child my mom had one of these and it was HUGE!!! I wanted some life on my deck and will also be able to bring it in over the winter and hang it in the dining room window.

Here are the bedding plants I got for the front yard as well as a Sweet Basil.

And finally here are couple of pictures of perennials that I have already in the yard. It it my goal to eventually have perennials most everwhere but that is happening a little at a time due to cash flow. :o)


No comments:

Post a Comment