Saturday, January 15, 2011

When Things Don't Go As Planned & Tales of a Turkey

You can usually tell by the order of my posted menus what we are having on a particular day. But this week things have been turned a bit topsy turvy. Obviously it started with my Ham Disaster then proceeded to move on to our first Meatless Monday. The recipe was not as good as I had hoped. Here was my downfall, in my mind I was comparing it to my White Chicken Chili before I even started it. Next time I will make a white chili but it will be my recipe just without using chicken or chicken broth. I will instead use veggie broth. I'm not even going to post the recipe because it was such a disappointment. :o( I will tell you later how I made the veggie broth...sooooo easy and good for you!

So, Thursday was to be Mexican casserole but The Hubby asked me if I could switch it with next Thursday since he was going out for lunch at a Mexican restaurant. Then I looked at our calendar wrong when I was menu planning and thought Friday was supposed to be a night out with friends and it is actually next Friday so I used that meal (Grilled Pork Chops) this Friday. I will post the recipe for the Oven Fries, they were quite good! As mentioned when posting the January menu, today we are actually going to a birthday party at a local pizza place so the Grilled Hamburgers & Baked Beans will be moved to an open night later in the month or to February. I did go a head and make my turkey tho...

Cooking a turkey in a bag is AWESOME!!! I've never cooked one any other way. This bird was about 13 3/4 lbs and he cooked in 2 hours and 15 min. It took me about 30 minutes to go from this: to this:
and this:The Hubby's parents are heading to Florida this week and we don't know when they will be back so I'm taking turkey, mashed potatoes & corn to their house tomorrow after church so we can visit before they go. I took some of the prime white meat and lined it in the casserole dish and covered it with broth to be reheated tomorrow at the in-laws. As you can see, I also have both a pile of dark and a pile of of white meat to bag for the freezer as well as the skin, carcass, etc. to make into broth tomorrow. :o) Have I mentioned how much I LOVE getting more than one meal from something???

Need to scoot now, The Hubby just reminded me I have a gift to wrap and I'm not exactly sure if I have a bag big enough or any paper appropriate for a 5 year old boy....may have to make a trip to the Dollar General.

No comments:

Post a Comment